27 March 2008

What's in a name?

During my senior year in college, I took time to learn about myself and what I wanted out of life. During this period of self-discovery I learned more about my heritage, African American history, the African Diaspora, Black hair, etc. While learning about Adinkra symbols (West African symbols that are used on cloth, pottery, jewelry, etc), I decided to informally rename myself Nsoromma (pronounced: N-soar-row-mah) as a way to connect with my African heritage. Nsoromma is a star and means "child of the heavens (stars)". It is the symbol of guardianship and is a reminder that God is the father and watches over all people.


My real name is Crystal, which means pure and clear. I am by no means ashamed of my real name. I only use Nsoromma as my poetic name.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online